Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Life is like a Game

of basketball.  It may be different for you but growing up and learning to love the game it is easy for me to relate to it.  The last few weeks have been strange but for my good.  Just like everything.  A lot of people have said things to me that have made me think that life is like a game of basketball. 

My freshman year I was on the freshman team.  Played before the varsity and a few times I got to even play with the J.V.  Now when you are a freshman and you play with the older girls, you think you are awesome.  Of course I did.  And people told me I was good.  But in my mind I was soooo good that the summer into my sophomore year, I thought I had it in the bag.  I still would go to the church and practice in the summer but I wasn't very serious about it.  I would play with the boys in the neighborhood but that is just 'street ball'. 

My sophomore year was the year I learned a lot about myself and about team work.  It was HARD and at first, I hated every minute of it.  And when I say every minute, I mean it.  Even when I wasn't playing it, I still hated it.  The coach said I was good.  that year there wasn't a freshman team, it was the "C" team.  Basically all the freshman and a few of the J.V. players.  I was one of them.  When they would tell me I would be playing with the "C" team, I beat myself down and thought I wasn't good enough.  Which also meant that I was at the school practicing with the varsity/J.V. team at 3:30 till 5:30 and after that it was to "C" team practice from 5:30 to 8:00 at night and I wasn't getting anywhere.  I would think I was progressing but then I would play more with the younger girls.  It wasn't worth it to me.  I HATED IT!  I remember the night that I came home and said "dad, I'll finish the season but I am NOT playing next year.  I HATE basketball."  Tears were shed and I cried every night. 

This was the time I learned about prayer.  I told my heavenly father that I was starting to hate something I loved - basketball.  And I found the most comfort in doing so.  I knew he was there listening to every word and feeling the pain that I was going through - even if it was just a silly game of basketball.  I was dedicated to basketball for the last time.  I went to practice with a smile, practiced my heart out, and went home frustrated every night.  But sometimes you have to do what you don't want to do and I was okay with it. 

It all started to play out in the oddest way on December 15, 2007.  We were the ones getting the water and cheering the team on, on the last 2 seats of the bench.  I remember us making up some rap about 'being sophomores, we'll never get in the game'.  I had no idea we were losing...that is how much attention I was paying.  All of a sudden coach yells "SHAC!  Get in there!!!" and I was like a deer in the head lights.  "Me??" and asked and he said "shac, get in!" So as I am sunning down to the table to check in and trying to take my warm up off I am thinking "ARE you smoking something??  I think you called the wrong girl...all well."  I can still see the girl they told me to guard and boy was she in for something else!! A sophomore never been in a varsity game and had no idea what was going on, but she didn't have to know that.  I knew the plays but had never ran them with the varsity before.  Well - Shacari was open at the 3 point line, all alone, and the ball got passed to her.  In my mind I am thinking "don't even shoot it, you can't make it.  Just make the extra pass." Before I thought about passing the ball it was already in the air towards the hoop and in it went.  I ran straight down to the other side thinking this was all a dream.  There is NO way that that really just went in.  Time out was called and we went over to the bench and everyone was cheering for me.  The whole place was going crazy...I had made it. 

Basketball from there is history.  I started in 3 state championship games.  2 of them coming out as State Champions.  The best feeling in the world.  Not because of the title I had or the fame that my team was receiving but because of all the things I learned and the journey it took to get there.  IT is ALL because of the journey.  The low points I had come from.  I'm not telling you this story to 'relive the glory days'.  This all relates to the situations that I am going through right now.  Everything.  This is how I need to look at my life now because I know that I can make it through it just like I did back then.

*PRACTICE*

Practice makes perfect but not perfect enough.  You'll never be perfect
until you reach the heavens.  But you have to go through trials
in practice to get to that 'perfect state'.  Remember those
days when you thought you couldn't run any farther?
You did it.  Remember when you had to do wall
sits like a state champion and it was only 3
minutes?  You did it.  You can do it
It is where you get all your bad things
out and all the good things in.
So you can use those
in your game.
PRACTICE MAKES PERFECT

*OPTIONS*

Everywhere you go and everything you do are going to have options.
One extra pass (move) can make all the difference.  But sometimes
there is no need for the extra pass when you can move forward
without being stopped.  Which ever one you have to do,
it works out best for you.  You score either way
and eventually it will influence the winner
of the game.
LOOK AT ALL THE OPTIONS
*TAKE ON FOR THE TEAM*

There always has to be that one person that isn't afraid
to step in and take one for the team.  A wide load
might be heading right towards you but once
you take it and it beats you down, think of
all the energy that all of a sudden you have.
When you are at the lowest of lows,
you will be that much higher.  It is
not easy and sometimes scary,
but it makes it that much
more easy to do
it once again.
STEP UP AND TAKE IT

*OPEN*

Sometimes you will be open - wide open.  That is your chance.
Chance to shine and to show that you can do it and
why you are on the team.  Why you want what
you want.  Take it.  You might miss but there
are always other opportunities.  And
if you miss the first one you get
the second chance.  But one
is bound to go in.
WHEN THE OPPORTUNITY IS THERE AND YOU'RE OPEN -TAKE IT

*RUN*

You are going to encounter things that you have never before seen, people
you have never before met and sometimes you have to trust your
instincts and just run.  Whether that is running away or
running and enjoying the freedom of what you
didn't have before.  And if you run faster
down the court, you are ahead of
everyone and the ball is
placed in your hands
with little or no
distraction.
JUST RUN AND GET AHEAD OF THE GAME

*PEOPLE TO HELP ALONG YOUR WAY*

People are in your life for a reason.  You may have know them for
5 years, 8 years or maybe not even quite a year.  But they are
there for you.  And you are there for them.  They bring so
much god into your life.  Help you see things not just
your way but they way they see it as well.
They are there to tell you the truth,
even if it hurts, there to laugh with
and at you and to always be
there for you.  Even when
they aren't close by.
They love you and want what is best for you,
they can see your potential - as do you.
It might be the one that you never thought
you could get along with or the one
that you were sure you would never
be friends with. But look at all your
similarities.  You are wearing
the exact same jersey and
want the same thing.
They make you
who you
are.
APPRECIATE THOSE AROUND YOU - THEY TEACH YOU

*DEFENSE*

You always have to have your guard up.  It is your strongest point.  Ready for any
quick movement of the opponent.  It might be when
your ahead and things are going great. Let them know what
you are allllll about.  Nothing gets past you.  If you
are ready, any sudden movement
won't put you that far behind.  You'll have
to recover but do you lean a
lesson for next time??
BE READY

*TAKE THEM ON*

Someone is always going to want to 'mix it up' with you, want to be in
your 'grill'.  But that doesn't mean that you have to stop
being you and let them beat you down.  Step in
and take your shot.  They won't know what hit
them because they are too concerned about
making you miserable.  But they teach
you good things.  Like you'll know
what to do when the next one
comes around.  The same thing
or possibly a 'juke'? Faith my
friend. Faith.
WHEN WHAT YOU SEE IN FRONT LOOKS BAD - MAKE IT BE A LESSON LEARNED

*FUN*

Even though sometimes you feel like your game isn't all that fun, you got
to enjoy all the fun things that your life really brings.  Even if you
are staying up tell 2 in the morning - even though you are
tired.  All the fun people you get to interact with
even though some really tick you off.  In
intense situations, FUN is all around
you.  You don't have to
look for it, you just
have to see it.
SEE THE GREAT FUN THERE IS
*CONTROL*

Control.  There are two people that control your life.  The first and
foremost one is yourself.  But you can't do it alone.  You need
Him.  When you believe in Him and have faith, you'll be
okay. Without Him helping and teaching you how
to control your life, your life would be like'
bouncing a basketball on 200 rocks not
knowing where the ball would be next.
Take a deep breath, slow down
and take control.  It is
possible with HIM.
TAKE CONTROL AND BELIEVE

*LEADER*

Sometimes you have to step up and take charge and
become the leader.  Boss people around and
don't you DARE let people tell you what
to do.  It is your life and you know
what is best for you.  You know
you - the best.
TAKE CHARGE OF YOUR LIFE

*BEHIND ISN'T ALWAYS THE END*

Something or someone might get behind you...
but only for a moment.  As soon as you
see that it is trying to be sneaky,
play their game and  then play
yours.  You are the better
person.  Be the better
person!
PLAY YOUR GAME
*TEAM*

There are going to be good days and bad days.  Days where
you all get along and those days where everyone can't
get along.  But no matter what you always have each
others back.  You all want the same 
out come. You are all trying
your best. 
YOU BELONG TO A TEAM

The ball is in MY court now.  I have to make the choice and use the lessons I learned in basketball now.  These are just some of the things I learned.  I am so grateful for the oppurtunity I had to play this game.
 
Until then...

No comments:

Post a Comment